I was watching an episode of “Real Time with Bill Maher” (I don’t necessarily agree with all of his opinions but the discussions are always lively) the other night when the graphics of the program caught my eye. The top of the border around the screen showed part of a clock dial and the word “TIME.” The bottom of the border was the same image inverted. That’s when it hit me that the word “time” spelled backwards is “emit.”
Emit has several synonyms, including expel and spew, but the one that resonates highest with me is “breathe.” Shows like “Real Time” and many editorial broadcasts do plenty of expelling and spewing, especially during election cycles. It’s times like these that make it feel more important than ever for us all to take the time to breathe.
Slow down for a moment. Release the fears and anxieties of the world for a little while. Don’t worry, it will all be there when you get back (OK, but at least don’t worry for now.) The big difference is that you’ll be in a better place to deal with it.
Tomorrow is Election Day in the US. If you have not already voted take a few minutes to gather yourself. I offer a short grounding and breathing meditation below that can be helpful. If you have already voted, this meditation may help you get through all of election night newscasts.
Whether you use my meditation or any other you prefer, take a few minutes. It doesn’t have to be an hours long ordeal (unless that’s what you prefer.) Just Take Time to Emit! [Breathe]
P.S. The other day, a friend asked me if I could tell her who was going to win the upcoming election. I suppose that I could have told her who would win, but I chose to diplomatically decline to answer. That is one of those questions that causes psychics problems for a number of reasons. Much like opinion polls, the answer can impact the results.
1. What if I told her that her candidate would win? She might choose not to vote, believing that if her candidate has already won then her vote would be unnecessary. If enough people follow suit the outcome is swayed to the opponent.
2. If I told her that her candidate would lose, she might not vote citing the uselessness of the foregone conclusion. Thus, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
3. If I tell her that the opponent wins, she might not like the answer and not want to talk to me anymore, and then I’d be sad.
The safest answer is to simply say that all votes are critically important and be sure to cast your ballot as soon as possible in the safest way that is practical for you.
A SHORT MEDITATION FOR RELEASING ANXIETY
1. Find a calm, safe place where you can sit quietly and undisturbed. Place your feet flat on the floor, your hands comfortably in your lap, and close your eyes.
2. Breathe slowly and deeply. As you inhale, feel the air fill you all the way from the tip of your toes to the top of your head. As you exhale, feel your body relax. Release physical tensions. Let your tongue relax, uncurl, and drop away from the roof of your mouth. (Yes, this really works in total body relaxation.) Repeat this deep breathing two more times.
3. Set the intention. Say, aloud, “My intention today is for the greatest good of all involved, to bring me to a place of clam and peace, through love, compassion, and healing.”
4. Release all thoughts of anything outside of you.
5. Call on your guides, angels, archangels, spirit ancestors, and all to comfort and protect you.
6. Envision your body as if you are floating in space. See yourself bathed in a beautiful white light, like a cosmic space suit. Feel the warmth and security that the light provides.
7. Repeat the affirmations that all is calm; all is peace; all is as it should be.
8. Remain in this space until you consciously feel the fully relaxed energy. Hold on to that feeling for a while so that you can carry it with you.
9. As you return to the here and now, thank your guides. Say it out loud. Let them know that you are truly grateful for their help and protection. Thank them for the calm feeling you are now experiencing and let it reign the rest of your day.
10. Breathe in and out deeply and slowly once more.